Monday 1 January 2024

Allegresse Postillons

Georg Philipp Telemann
Musique de Table, Troisième Production
Ouverture-Suite in Bb TWV 55:B1 (excerpts);
Conclusion in Bb TWV 50:10
Wiesbaden Collegium Musicum,
Edmund Weyns
recorded: 15 October 1936 & 23 March 1939, Berlin
Telefunken A 2128, A 2905-2907

A couple of days ago, the ‘collection’ notched up 150 uploads, with a transfer I’m especially chuffed with: the first substantial issue (on four 25 cm discs) of music by Telemann, also the first of his suites on record. Not quite complete, though: the Suite’s sixth movement, Badinage, was dropped in favour of the orchestral Conclusion (there’s one rounding off each ‘Production’ of Musique de Table) – I suspect, for the sake of a more up-tempo, finale-like ending than the Suite’s own closing Menuet.

To my ears, the Suite is beautifully played by the Wiesbaden Collegium Musicum under violinist Edmund Weyns – whose group made quite a few pioneering 78s of Baroque (and some Classical) music. I don’t know why they recorded just two movements of the Suite in 1936 (issued on A 2128) and only followed up with the rest (on A 2905-07) in 1939 – testing the commercial waters, maybe? In the meantime, the Wiesbadeners had also recorded the Trio in e from the second ‘Production’ (Telefunken E 2256) – that has also been transferred and I hope to upload it soon.

You’ll find the Suite here – I hope you enjoy it as much as I have!

My warmest thanks to engineer and wizard Andrew Hallifax for his work on this and all the uploads I’ve been able to post this year – and some I haven’t yet, as I’ve been very engrossed in a research & transfer project I started last December. I thought it would take a few weeks at most… More on that this month, if I can get it finished!

In the meantime, do check out the sixty-odd items I have managed to upload. My own favourites include pianist Vera Franceschi’s lovely discs of Cimarosa, Galuppi and Alessandro Scarlatti; baritone Yvon Le Marc’hadour singing lute songs with his future wife Maroussia Orloff, and Erlebach, Clara Schumann and Robert Schumann, with my hero Claude Crussard; the Zika Quartet in Dvořák and a piece by Richard Zika himself; the Brosa Quartet in Tchaikovsky and Mendelssohn, Ambroise Thomas and Frank Bridge (and there’s more of the Brosa to come); T.B. Lawrence’s London Madrigal Group; Mischa Elzon playing a bravely abridged Franck Sonata; Boris Schwarz and colleagues from the Berlin Philharmonic in Mozart, and the Fehse Quartet in Beethoven, both on Clangor; conductor Georges Tzipine as a young violinist, with his cellist brother, playing Marchand – Luc, not Louis – and others; the early-music group Spieleinung Berlin in Renaissance consort dances; Clérambault and Couperin played, improbably, on a Mustel organ-celesta!; the Quartetto di Roma in Respighified early music, Malipiero and more Dvořák; and, one for my good friend Jon, Renée Chemet sparkling in Mozart via Kreisler.

Finally, thanks too to the experts who have kindly shared information I needed for these uploads, not least Dr. Martin Elste, Jolyon Hudson, David Mason, Tully Potter, Robert Tifft and Glen Wilson.

And apologies to Jonathan Keates...

Happy New Year!



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for everything you do, Nick! I'd like to say that some of these folks were only names to me, but that would be overstating matters. Your erudition is impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Buster, Happy New Year! I'm truly touched by your very kind comment, so it feels churlish to protest - but, believe me, I'm not really erudite, unlike you. I'm just curious: I look things up (doggedly). And then I often forget them. Sigh... Thank goodness for the music, eh? All the very best, as ever, N

    ReplyDelete